Wednesday, October 10, 2012

RIP Nick Curran

I got the sad news on Sunday that Nick Curran had succumbed to cancer at the age of 35. I didnt know him well but had met him in passing a few times. He was always a friend of a friend. My old band shared the stage with him a few times when he played with Kim Lenz & The Jaguars and Ronnie Dawson. Several of my friends that knew him well posted rememberances on Facebook. One picture circa 1997 in particular was striking. Nick is playing my roomate's guitar, a Peavey T-10 while Lisa Pankratz plays drums and Nic Roulette sings. My roomate Hank is sitting in the background wearing one of my shirts. I have a hazy recollection of that night, but I am sure I was there. Even though Nick was 7 years my junior he put out 5 solo albums, played on the albums of others, was the lead guitarist of the Fabulous Thunderbirds for two years and had several side projects. I listen to his stuff and marvel at his guitar chops as well as that amazing voice, a combination of Little Richard, Wynonie Harris and Howlin Wolf. It is pretty sobering that someone from my generation of musicians, within my wider circle is gone. If there is any takeaway I have from Nick Curran's passing is that life is short, live it, do what you want, follow your dreams and dont die with regrets. Thanks for the reminder dude, RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An unfocused dilettante. I'm not half bad. Overall a very good yegg and a wrong guy in an increasingly right world.

Followers