Thursday, January 1, 2009

Great Scott!

About a month ago I picked up a Scott super 70s, Solid State stereo with a turntable, amp and tape deck.
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was a steal at $50. It came with a janky ass cabinet but I left that in the parking lot of the Goodwill.
The turntable had a broken stylus. I picked up a complete Stanton cartridge for about $40 from needledoctor.com.
Photobucket
I needed some speakers. I have a pair from my DJ days. My place is sorta small and they are kinda big cabinets, each a with 12" sub. So, I went looking for some high end bookshelf speakers, preferably Bose. However, I found a Kenwood surround sound system with one 10" sub and four smaller 4" sattelite woofer/tweeters.
Photobucket
The price was more than right at $25 for the set.

I finally got it all hooked up tonight and it sounds FUCKING RAD!!!

I've been blasting The Sweet, Aerosmith and ZZ Top on VINYL and I could not be more pleased. It's been a while since I've had a decent stereo system. I'm stoked. Aside from the cartridge, I pulled the whole thing together for about $100.

I also got this quasi-modern lamp on sale for $10 with a $2 shade from the craft store.
Photobucket
It just goes to show, even in this crummy economy, great stuff is within reach if you are willing to go out and look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
An unfocused dilettante. I'm not half bad. Overall a very good yegg and a wrong guy in an increasingly right world.

Followers